Avoid cracking concretes
When does concrete cracks?
- If you are walking on a cracked concrete, it is obvious that it is not good. If a piece of concrete cracks, you can see it from several meters away, and walking through the hole can be quite dangerous because you cannot see the concrete crack from inside the hole.
- Another factor that makes concrete cracks very dangerous is when there is a big earthquake in a certain area. The ground can easily absorb the shock of an earthquake, and buildings are often supported by concrete blocks. When concrete cracks because of earthquakes, it weakens very quickly, and the speed with which it crumbles depends upon the soil density and the weight of the concrete. That is why buildings should always be located in areas that are not prone to earthquakes.
- The cracks caused by rain and snow can also be quite dangerous. In fact, it can even make concrete crack so much that it will crumble into the surrounding soil. Even the sun’s heat can cause cracks to appear. That is why concrete cracks are regularly spotted near roadways. Whenever you drive past a pothole, you should take care not to get into it because you might cause a concrete crack if you drive over it.
Aside from the underground issues mentioned above, there is also another problem that is related to the surface of concrete. Whenever concrete cracks, a layer of polystyrene is left behind. Polystyrene is an insulator, which means that it makes concrete crack harder and last longer. That is why concrete cracks are commonly found near metal pipes, where cold air can make it expand and crack. The most common problem is when concrete cracks during transportation, because cargo tends to move around, and a concrete crack could end up exposing steel reinforcement, causing it to become weak and vulnerable to pressure.
There are a few simple remedies for concrete cracks:
- You can seal it up with a heat sealer to keep the concrete from expanding and cracking. When concrete cracks during transportation, you can place carpet runners underneath the affected area to create a more stable floor.
- You can add concrete cracks sealer to concrete before it is painted, which can prevent the paint from chipping off and leaving unsightly gaps in the finished product. This is particularly helpful if you are painting in an area where you live in the country, where changing weather conditions can easily cause paint to chip off.
A lot of times, cracks in concrete are not very severe, but they can still cause a lot of frustration and inconvenience. What questions do you have about when does concrete crack? If you suspect that your concrete is cracking, you should consult with a qualified installer, who is familiar with concrete and the issues involved. The installer will be able to determine the best course of action for your project, and he or she will save you a lot of time and expense. And you won’t have to worry about the hidden costs of concrete repairs.